Bioinformatics is a rapidly growing field with excellent career prospects. Through this specialised course, AIMIT graduates will gain proficiency in computational and biological sciences, leading to in-depth understanding in areas like genomics, diseases, and drug discovery.
The M.Sc Bioinformatics programme will train the students to adapt the powerful information processing techniques from computer sciences to yield new and exciting discoveries from biological, medical, and health data. These trained Bioinformaticians can use powerful computational techniques such as data modeling, machine learning, data mining, and data visualization to analyze and observe biological processes; to play a pivotal role in modern research within both wet laboratories and digital labs.
The intent of the M.Sc (Bioinformatics) program is to produce Bioinformatics professionals who are able to achieve the following objectives:
- Impart upon the student a deep knowledge of biology.
- Encourage student to exercise and develop very efficient algorithms to extract biological knowledge from complex and challenging dataset.
- Train students to manipulate scientific datasets and retrieve and access them through databases.
- Expose students to the standard tools, frameworks, and libraries in preparation for industry.
- Engage students in active research in the field of bioinformatics.
Our M.Sc Bioinformatics Masters program features a comprehensive core curriculum and cross-disciplinary training in data collection and analysis, preparing you for a future at the intersection of computer science and biology. The students as information technologists in science-driven environments and as specialists in database design, bioinformatics, or chemical and medical informatics expected :
- To create the methods for incorporating their knowledge about genes so that other scientists can interpret and analyze the data.
- To design and apply databases that are used for analyzing large amounts of data.
- To develop new software’s applications or improve on current applications to meet the needs of their research projects.
- To Develop or create their own web based bioinformatics tools.
- To publish the data that is found from research and use presentations to show their findings at conferences, seminars, scientific journals, lectures, meetings etc.
The Masters of Science in Bioinformatics is structured to provide students with the skills and knowledge to develop, evaluate, and deploy bioinformatics and computational biology applications. Utilizing computer science and statistics along with biology, the field encompasses all aspects of life: From discovering our past through phylogenomics, to understanding the world of the living cell by elucidating biomolecular networks and biological pathways, to transforming ‘omics data into insights about disease and ecological systems, bioinformatics is driving new research and shaping the future of agriculture, biotechnology, therapeutics and medicine. Masters Program in Bioinformatics focuses on computational techniques and tools for data analysis, theoretical modeling of biological processes, and also design and development of biological tools and databases. This program is designed to prepare students for employment in the biotechnology sector, where the need for knowledgeable life scientists with quantitative and computational skills has exploded in the past decade. The program aims at students both from science and engineering fields who are interested in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Life Sciences, or related Fields, and who wish to broaden or upgrade their skills to follow recent breakthroughs and lead research in the area of Bioinformatics.
- School of Information Technology has started offering a 2-Year M.Sc Bioinformatics course from 2004 and from 2007 under the Autonomous Scheme.
- The course is exclusively designed to meet the Bioinformatics requirements for various organizations and the curriculum has been revisted as per the Research & Industry needs in the year 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2016
- Our core curriculum covers all of the major topics in bioinformatics, including molecular evolution, phylogenetics, statistics, data mining techniques, and microarray and high-throughput sequencing technology.
- Enjoy individual faculty attention and collaboration with faculty from Industry and Research Institutions
- Dive deep into your areas of interest with the courses in Proteomics, Genomics, Synthetic Biology, Drug Discovery, Big Data in Bioinformatics, Machine Learning etc
- Gain valuable experience with hands-on research opportunities.
- Classroom study, laboratory work, and special projects correspond to enhance foundational knowledge.
- Flexible scheduling lets you adjust the bioinformatics masters program to fit your lifestyle.
Candidates who have passed the three year B.Sc. degree examination of Mangalore University or any other university considered as equivalent thereto are eligible for the programme with a minimum of 50% (45% SC/ST/Category-I candidates) in aggregate excluding languages and Group III subjects provided they have studied Chemistry/ Biology either at the degree level or least at Pre University. Selection of candidates shall be on merit-cum-reservation on the basis of 50:50 weightage for marks in the entrance and qualifying examination
Learning at AIMIT extends beyond the classroom. Throughout the program, classroom learning is complemented by hands-on experiences. You have a project work, industrial visits, technical rounds, seminars, competitions and a host of other activities that are designed to enhance your understanding of computer applications.,
- The course has been supported through the Bioinformatics Facility (BIF), supported by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of India.
- The center Bioinformatics center is am member of BTIS Network (DBT, Govt of India) of India which has 165 Centers of Research & Development. This help the students to undergo training, internship, projects at various Centers from Govt of India
- M.Sc Bioinformatics course at AIMIT, St Aloysius College (Autonomous) is Recognized by the Mangalore University , UGC New Delhi
- The course starts with one month Refresher Course ”Foundations of Information Technology” designed by Infosys under the Campus Connect Initiative.
- The course has an exposure to wet lab experiments at the Biotechnology labs, Hands on workshops from Industry partners, Collaborative Research, Project work with other Research Institutions.
- International Standards in Course Structure in collaboration with Universities, Institutions and Companies from India and Abroad
- World Class ambience for Information Technology & Bioinformatics Studies.
- Wi-Fi Enabled Campus – Available 24×7 in the classrooms, campus and especially in the Hostels.
- Well Equipped Labs with Servers and Nodes with Software on Bioinformatics installed.
- Access to Latest e-Journals and e-Books through IEEE, ACM, Safari Books, 24×7 Books etc.
- Spacious Library & Reading Rooms with Latest Editions of Books on all Bioinformatics, Computational Biology Subjects and Research domains
- Advanced Syllabi under the Autonomous Stream; updated as per the Industry- Academia and Research needs.
- Excellent Placement Records with Leading Companies – Bioinformatics / Pharma / Clinical Research / Data Analytics Companies
- Internships in Bioinformatics / Pharma / Clinical Research companies and Research Institutions – For Product Development, Data Analysis and Research
- To participate in International / National Level Seminars / Conferences and Present the papers as well as Publish the papers in National and International Journals weith High Impact factor with the guidance of the Faculty mentor.
- Organize the workshops on latest trends in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, NGS Data Analytics, Machine Learning & Big Data in Bioinformatics
- Certification through MOOCS in various Technologies as a part of Self Study
- Special Interest Groups of Faculty and Students to Enhance Research & Consultancy.
- Placement Training – Model Interviews, Analytics Labs, Analytics Schools.
- Soft Skill Training in association with Infosys Leadership Development Institute
- Leadership opportunity & Training in organizing various activities and Events in the Campus as well as Participation in Intercollegiate Fests.
- International / National Level Seminars & Paper presentations / Publications to enable Research Oriented thinking
- Center for Creativity & Innovation & Incubation – to Promote Entrepreneurship.
- National Level IT Fests (epITome) , IT Exhibition (Infovision), International Conference (SACAIM), Symposium (Anveeksha), Talent Hunt (Lakshya), Sports Day (Utkarasha), Defining Dialogues (Alumni Interaction)
- Rural Immersion Programme to reach out the backward areas of Karnataka and getting experience under Student Social Responsibility Programme
- Industry visits to different Locations and Interact with the Industry professionals
Master of Science –Bioinformatics
|Bioinformatics and Biological Databases|
|Proteomics and Genomics|
|Computational & Structural Biology|
|Molecular Mechanics and Simulation|
|Metabolism and Immunology|
|Cell and Molecular Biology|
|PERL- CGI & Bioperl Programming|
|Programming : Java & Databases for Bioinformatics|
|Bioethics and Biosafety (Open Elective)|
|Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Lab|
|Molecular Mechanics & Genomics Lab|
|Programming: Java, DBMS & Lab|
|Programming : PERL – CGI & Biostatics Lab|
|Research Project – I|
|Research Project – II|
|Synthetic Biology & Drug Design|
|Industry Internship / Dissertation|
|Systems Biology & Metabolic Engineering|
Add On Courses/ Activities
|Bioinspired Computing & Data Mining|
|Wet Lab Experiments at Applied Biology Research Lab|
|Programming with Python|
|Foundations of IT Certificate Course|
|Genetic Counseling (Open Elective)|
|Organizing Workshops, Seminars, Conferences|
|Systems Biology and Metabolic Engineering Lab|
|Paper Presentation at National / International Level|
|Programming : Python & Data Mining Lab|
|Active participation in 165 Centers BTIS Net in India|
|Research Project – III|
|Projectship / Internship through DBT, New Delhi|
- Admission to M.Sc Bioinformatics programme for Karnataka / Non Karnataka candidates is made based on BIOINFORMATICS PROFICIENCY TEST (BPT) conducted by St Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore as per the norms of the Autonomous institute regulations
- The minimum percentage in eligibility examination for admission in M.Sc Bioinformatics programme is 50% in case GM and 45% in case of SC / ST.
- Ranking of the admission will be given based on 50% of the scores of Undergraduate Examination and remaining 50% of the Scores from BPT.
- In the event of a particular department receiving lesser number of applications than the number of seats available, the entrance test, where applicable, may not be conducted. (As per Mangalore University regulations).