Computational Biology is a rapidly growing field at the intersection of biology, mathematics and computer science. The Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology is a Diploma that aims to meet the educational needs of students seeking to work as computational biologists in industry, academia or government.. This course will enable the active researchers from various streams of Life sciences such as Botany, Zoology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry etc to learn the Computational Biology methods and apply them in various Research projects.
By the end of the PGDCB course the student should:
- Have a basic grasp of fundamental molecular biology concepts as relevant to the Life science stream that he / she is pursuing Research
- Understand some commonly used algorithms in bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Know algorithms to compute sequence alignments and how these are applied in current research
- Understand the statistical and algorithmic approach for detecting cell types from single-cell expression data of thousands of cells
- Have an understanding of how tissue slides are imaged with high throughput
- Understand basic problems in the processing and analysis of tissue images and some standard solutions to those
- Be able to apply image analysis and machine learning to real-world computational pathology problems
- The Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology (PGDCB) is a One-year program designed with the primary goal of imparting a uniquely broad, yet intensive Bioinformatics / Computational Biology education of the highest academic quality.
- This is achieved through an integrated curriculum that consists of a highly diverse set of Bioinformatics /
- Computational Biology courses, interdisciplinary Bioinformatics / Computational Biology research projects, continuous interaction with industry, and personality development courses.
Computational Biology is fundamentally about the application of computer-based approaches to the understanding of biological processes.
- This programme will introduce the candidate to the current methods used to interpret the vast amounts of data generated by modern high-throughput technologies such as:
- genome sequencing
- next-generation sequencing
- microarray profiling
- The aim of the Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology (PGDCB) program is to produce researchers for the Bioinformatics / Computational Biology industry and profession.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computational Biology (PGDCB) at St Aloysius College has been passed in the academic council in the year 2011.
- The core subjects like Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Proteomics, Genomics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Systems Biology ensure that students have a sound footing in the Bioinformatics / Computational Biology fundamentals. It also prepares them for advanced study in areas of their interest.
- This programme will enable the students to work at the Center for Bioinformatics (BIF ) supported by the Dept of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of India, New Delhi
Candidates who have passed the three year B.Sc. degree examination of Mangalore University or any other university considered as equivalent thereto are eligible for the programme with a minimum of 50% (45% SC/ST/Category-I candidates) in aggregate excluding languages and Group III subjects provided they have studied Chemistry/ Biology either at the degree level or least at Pre University. Selection of candidates shall be on merit-cum-reservation on the basis of 50:50 weightage for marks in the entrance and qualifying examination
Learning at AIMIT extends beyond the classroom. Throughout the program, classroom learning is complemented by hands-on experiences. You have a project work, industrial visits, technical rounds, seminars, competitions and a host of other activities that are designed to enhance your understanding of computer applications.,
- The course has been supported through the Bioinformatics Facility (BIF), supported by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of India.
- The center Bioinformatics center is am member of BTIS Network (DBT, Govt of India) of India which has 165 Centers of Research & Development. This help the students to undergo training, internship, projects at various Centers from Govt of India
- PGDCB course at AIMIT, St Aloysius College (Autonomous) is Center for Bioinformatics (BIF ) supported by the Dept of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt of India, New Delhi
- The course starts with one month Refresher Course ”Foundations of Information Technology” designed by Infosys under the Campus Connect Initiative.
- The course has an exposure to wet lab experiments at the Biotechnology labs, Hands on workshops from Industry partners, Collaborative Research, Project work with other Research Institutions.
- International Standards in Course Structure in collaboration with Universities, Institutions and Companies from India and Abroad
- World Class ambience for Information Technology & Bioinformatics Studies.
- Wi-Fi Enabled Campus – Available 24×7 in the classrooms, campus and especially in the Hostels.
- Well Equipped Labs with Servers and Nodes with Software on Bioinformatics installed.
- Access to Latest e-Journals and e-Books through IEEE, ACM, Safari Books, 24×7 Books etc.
- Spacious Library & Reading Rooms with Latest Editions of Books on all Bioinformatics, Computational Biology Subjects and Research domains
- Advanced Syllabi under the Autonomous Stream; updated as per the Industry- Academia and Research needs.
- Excellent Placement Records with Leading Companies – Bioinformatics / Pharma / Clinical Research / Data Analytics Companies
- Internships in Bioinformatics / Pharma / Clinical Research companies and Research Institutions – For Product Development, Data Analysis and Research
- To participate in International / National Level Seminars / Conferences and Present the papers as well as Publish the papers in National and International Journals weith High Impact factor with the guidance of the Faculty mentor.
- Organize the workshops on latest trends in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, NGS Data Analytics, Machine Learning & Big Data in Bioinformatics
- Certification through MOOCS in various Technologies as a part of Self Study
- Special Interest Groups of Faculty and Students to Enhance Research & Consultancy.
- Placement Training – Model Interviews, Analytics Labs, Analytics Schools.
- Soft Skill Training in association with Infosys Leadership Development Institute
- Leadership opportunity & Training in organizing various activities and Events in the Campus as well as Participation in Intercollegiate Fests.
- International / National Level Seminars & Paper presentations / Publications to enable Research Oriented thinking
- Center for Creativity & Innovation & Incubation – to Promote Entrepreneurship.
- National Level IT Fests (epITome) , IT Exhibition (Infovision), International Conference (SACAIM), Symposium (Anveeksha), Talent Hunt (Lakshya), Sports Day (Utkarasha), Defining Dialogues (Alumni Interaction)