Program Educational Objectives
The intent of the M.Sc (Bioinformatics) program is to produce Bioinformatics professionals who are able to achieve the following objectives:
- Impart upon the student a deep knowledge of biology.
- Encourage student to exercise and develop very efficient algorithms to extract biological knowledge from complex and challenging dataset.
- Train students to manipulate scientific datasets and retrieve and access them through databases.
- Expose students to the standard tools, frameworks, and libraries in preparation for industry.
- Engage students in active research in the field of bioinformatics.
Our M.Sc Bioinformatics Masters program features a comprehensive core curriculum and cross-disciplinary training in data collection and analysis, preparing you for a future at the intersection of computer science and biology. The students as information technologists in science-driven environments and as specialists in database design, bioinformatics, or chemical and medical informatics expected :
- To create the methods for incorporating their knowledge about genes so that other scientists can interpret and analyze the data.
- To design and apply databases that are used for analyzing large amounts of data.
- To develop new software’s applications or improve on current applications to meet the needs of their research projects.
- To Develop or create their own web based bioinformatics tools.
- To publish the data that is found from research and use presentations to show their findings at conferences, seminars, scientific journals, lectures, meetings etc.
M.Sc Bioinformatics – Highlights
- School of Information Technology has started offering a 2-Year M.Sc Bioinformatics course from 2004 and from 2007 under the Autonomous Scheme.
- The course is exclusively designed to meet the Bioinformatics requirements for various organizations and the curriculum has been revisted as per the Research & Industry needs in the year 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2016
- Our core curriculum covers all of the major topics in bioinformatics, including molecular evolution, phylogenetics, statistics, data mining techniques, and microarray and high-throughput sequencing technology.
- Enjoy individual faculty attention and collaboration with faculty from Industry and Research Institutions
- Dive deep into your areas of interest with the courses in Proteomics, Genomics, Synthetic Biology, Drug Discovery, Big Data in Bioinformatics, Machine Learning etc
- Gain valuable experience with hands-on research opportunities.
- Classroom study, laboratory work, and special projects correspond to enhance foundational knowledge.
- Flexible scheduling lets you adjust the bioinformatics masters program to fit your lifestyle.
Who M.Sc Bioinformatics | Eligibility Criteria
Recognition / Support from Govt of India & Core Values
Learning at AIMIT extends beyond the classroom. Throughout the program, classroom learning is complemented by hands-on experiences. You have a project work, industrial visits, technical rounds, seminars, competitions and a host of other activities that are designed to enhance your understanding of computer applications.,
- The course has an exposure to wet lab experiments at the Biotechnology labs, Hands on workshops from Industry partners, Collaborative Research, Project work with other Research Institutions.
School of Information Technology of AIMIT provides
- International Standards in Course Structure in collaboration with Universities, Institutions and Companies from India and Abroad
- World Class ambience for Information Technology & Bioinformatics Studies.
- Wi-Fi Enabled Campus – Available 24×7 in the classrooms, campus and especially in the Hostels.
- Well Equipped Labs with Servers and Nodes with Software on Bioinformatics installed.
- Access to Latest e-Journals and e-Books through IEEE, ACM, Safari Books, 24×7 Books etc.
- Spacious Library & Reading Rooms with Latest Editions of Books on all Bioinformatics, Computational Biology Subjects and Research domains
- Advanced Syllabi under the Autonomous Stream; updated as per the Industry- Academia and Research needs.
- Excellent Placement Records with Leading Companies – Bioinformatics / Pharma / Clinical Research / Data Analytics Companies
- Internships in Bioinformatics / Pharma / Clinical Research companies and Research Institutions – For Product Development, Data Analysis and Research
- To participate in International / National Level Seminars / Conferences and Present the papers as well as Publish the papers in National and International Journals weith High Impact factor with the guidance of the Faculty mentor.
- Organize the workshops on latest trends in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, NGS Data Analytics, Machine Learning & Big Data in Bioinformatics
- Certification through MOOCS in various Technologies as a part of Self Study
- Special Interest Groups of Faculty and Students to Enhance Research & Consultancy.
- Placement Training – Model Interviews, Analytics Labs, Analytics Schools.
- Soft Skill Training in association with Infosys Leadership Development Institute
- Leadership opportunity & Training in organizing various activities and Events in the Campus as well as Participation in Intercollegiate Fests.
- International / National Level Seminars & Paper presentations / Publications to enable Research Oriented thinking
- Center for Creativity & Innovation & Incubation – to Promote Entrepreneurship.
- National Level IT Fests (epITome) , IT Exhibition (Infovision), International Conference (SACAIM), Symposium (Anveeksha), Talent Hunt (Lakshya), Sports Day (Utkarasha), Defining Dialogues (Alumni Interaction)
- Rural Immersion Programme to reach out the backward areas of Karnataka and getting experience under Student Social Responsibility Programme
- Industry visits to different Locations and Interact with the Industry professionals
- Admission to M.Sc Bioinformatics programme for Karnataka / Non Karnataka candidates is made based on BIOINFORMATICS PROFICIENCY TEST (BPT) conducted by St Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore as per the norms of the Autonomous institute regulations
- The minimum percentage in eligibility examination for admission in M.Sc Bioinformatics programme is 50% in case GM and 45% in case of SC / ST.
- Ranking of the admission will be given based on 50% of the scores of Undergraduate Examination and remaining 50% of the Scores from BPT.
- In the event of a particular department receiving lesser number of applications than the number of seats available, the entrance test, where applicable, may not be conducted. (As per Mangalore University regulations).
Dr Hemalatha N
Dean (Academics – IT)
MCA, MBA(IT), PGDCA, PhD (Information System)
Dr Santhosh B
Associate Professor & HOD (Department of MCA)
MCA, MTech(IT), M.Phil, NET, KSET, Phd
Dr Ruban S
Associate Professor & HOD (Department of M.Sc – Software Technology)
M.Sc, MBA, M.Phil, MHRM, MISTE, Ph.D
Dr Rakesh Kumar
Assistant Professor & HOD (Department of M.Sc –
Big Data Analytics)
MCA, M.Phil, MBA PGDHRM, NET (Mgmt), NET (CS), LLB, PhD
Dr. Jeevan L J Pinto
Associate Professor (Department of MCA)
M.Sc (Electronics), M.Sc (IT), MCA, M.Phil, PGDIR & PM, MISTE, Ph.D.
Mrs Manimozhi R
MCA, M.Phil, M.Tech
Mrs Vanitha T
M.Sc(STAT), PGDCA, MCA, KSET, PhD (Pursuing)
Mrs Anushree Raj
B.Sc (Computer Science) MCA, PhD (Submitted)
Mrs Nausheeda B.S
MSc, MTech, PhD (Pursuing)
Mr Srinivas B.L
MSc (CS), Mtech (IT), PhD (Pursuing)
Mr Roshan Suvaris
MCA, PhD (Pursuing)
Mrs Annapoorna Shetty
PGDCA, MCA, MTech, PhD (Pursuing)
Mrs Suchetha Vijayakumar
M.Sc, PGDCA, MA, MTech, PhD (Pursuing)
Mr Aravinda Prabhu S
M.Sc (Comp. Sc), MTech